Consultants Insurance

Get a quick and easy quote in minutes
Call us on 1300 113 255

Better in 4 simple ways

Insurance certificate

Often clients ask you for proof of insurance (usually called an insurance certificate or certificate of currency) before engaging you. Get your certificate after your online purchase or anytime delivered straight to your inbox.


Pricing starting as low as $586.30*

We offer insurance designed for consultants at competitive prices.

One stop shop

We can help to arrange protection for all your business insurance needs. Buy your insurance easily online or talk to one of our experienced advisers who specialise in arranging cover for businesses just like yours.

Claims - we have your back

When misfortune strikes, Aon is determined to be there for you with a reliable, caring and rapid response. We draw upon our long-standing relationships with insurers to manage and back your claim.

Your Dedicated Claims Advisor
1300 113 255
Insurance certificate
Price starting as low as $586.30
One stop shop
Claims - we have your back

What types of insurance cover should consultants consider?

The nature of the consulting profession means that you are exposed to a range of different risks such as claims of providing incorrect professional advice, lack of due diligence, customers getting injured or damage to your property.


If a legal claim is made against your business, this can lead to financial loss, and may also cause you to stop work temporarily or shut down your business altogether. Thankfully, there are many different types of insurance that can help to provide your business with cover.


Check out the different types of cover below.


Professional Indemnity

Public liability-insurance

Public and Products Liability

Public liability-insurance

Business Insurance

Public liability-insurance

Cyber Insurance

Public liability-insurance
The Risk
While you are providing professional services, advice, or selling a product, a client may believe that they've suffered a loss due to an error, misconduct or omission on your part. 
The Solution
Professional Indemnity Insurance can help you to pay the costs associated with a legal claim made against your business, (including damages and, depending on your policy, legal costs). In some professions, Professional Indemnity Insurance is mandatory to legally operate or is often required by clients. 
The Risk
If you have a physical location for your business, you visit clients regularly on site or you operate remotely, there is a chance that a person may become injured or have their property damaged in connection with your work or your product/service. 
The Solution
Public and products liability insurance can help to cover costs you are legally liable to pay a third party, including your legal costs to defend a claim. 
The Risk
Your premises or business property, for example laptops, ipads and phones, may be damaged by an event such as fire, storm or by vandalism, theft or accidental damage. 
The Solution
Business insurance can help to cover the costs associated with damage to the premises that you work in as well as the contents. 
The Risk
You could be the target of a cyber-attack, you may lose client information or you could accidentally click on a link with a virus. 
The Solution
Cyber liability insurance can help to cover against the expense and legal costs associated with a data breach, loss of client information or cyber-attack, such as computer expert services, data recovery, ransom, legal costs and damages, public relations and crisis management. 

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Professional Indemnity insurance?

It's an unfortunate reality that just one small mistake, error of judgement, an injury or a perceived piece of bad advice can lead to a claim against your business. As well as the financial loss, a claim or incident may also cause you to stop work temporarily or shut down your business altogether. 

Professional Indemnity Insurance can help you to pay the costs associated with a claim made against your business.

What is Public and Product Liability insurance?

Public liability insurance is designed for professionals and businesses who interact with clients or members of the public. It includes cover for the cost of your legal liability for personal injury or property damage that a third party suffers as a result of your business activities. Depending on your cover, this can include your legal or court costs. 

Product liability insurance is often included as part of a public liability insurance policy. It is designed for professionals or businesses who supply products to their clients or to members of the public. Product liability insurance is designed to cover the costs of claims of personal injury or property damage caused by products sold or supplied through your business. Depending on your cover, this can include your legal or court costs. 

What type of consultants does Aon arrange cover for?

Aon arranges cover for a range of different consultants including, but not limited to, the following:

I am hiring a sub-contractor, will their mistakes be covered under my insurance?

If you engage a sub-contractor to help you with a client's work, and they make a mistake, there is a chance your client will make a claim against you. The professional indemnity policy for consultants that Aon arranges includes cover for sub-contractors' negligence for which you are liable. 

As a consultant, how do I choose the right professional indemnity insurance limit?

There are several factors that go into choosing a professional indemnity limit. The size of your business, income, number of employees, contractual requirements, legislative requirements and the type of consulting you do.

If you are just starting out, then depending on the nature of your work, you might not need a substantial limit. If you are entering into a contract, the other party may require you to have a specified limit. If you are renewing your practising licence, your government body may require a minimum limit.

Do I need insurance cover after I retire?

You can still be subject to claims for professional wrong-doing even after you retire. To protect against this, you can request run-off cover. Run-off cover extends your policy to respond to claims in relation to incidents that happened while your business was operating.  Some contracts also require you to have run-off cover.

Leading insurers

allianz logo
CGU logo
vero logo gray
QBE logo gray

© Aon Risk Services Australia Limited 2019


*Price based on a public relations consultant based in NSW with a $1 million liability limit.  
Professional Indemnity Insurance for Consultants  is arranged by Aon Risk Services Australia Limited ABN 17 000 434 720 AFSL 241141 (Aon) as agent for the insurer, CGU Insurance, ABN 11 000 016 722 AFSL 227681.


If you purchase this insurance, Aon will receive a commission that is a percentage of the premium and will share this with CoverWallet Science, Inc. (ARBN 632 740 259) who help us distribute this product. Please let us know if you would like any further information. 


The information contained on this website is general in nature and should not be relied on as advice (personal or otherwise) because your personal needs, objectives and financial situation have not been considered. Before deciding whether a particular product is right for you, please consider your personal circumstances, as well as the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (if applicable) and full policy terms and conditions available from Aon on request. All representations on this website in relation to the insurance products we arrange are subject to the full terms and conditions of the relevant policy. Please contact us if you have any queries.

Find the business insurance thats right for you