Insurance for Retailers

Get a quote Get a quote Or Call
Or Call 1300 836 028
Mon - Fri 8:30am - 7:00pm AET

As a retailer, you’d be among the first to see the impact retail therapy can have on your customers’ moods, and their day. No matter what type of goods your business sells, bringing your customers quality products, and providing exceptional service is your priority. Unfortunately, though, there are times when things don’t go according to plan. Whether a storm causes damage to your store; thieves break into your property, or a customer shops until they (literally) drop at our premises, operating a retail business brings with it its own set of risks. These sorts of events aren’t so easy to checkout from if they do occur, so having the right insurance in place for your business is essential.

Why Aon?

Retailers are operating in an environment like never before – e-commerce, shifting customer behaviours, logistical changes, changes to manufacturing and an uncertain economic climate have completely shaken up our sense of normal. So when it comes to protecting your business, its worth being with a broker that has an insightful understanding of your industry and the unique challenges you face. You need more than off-the-shelf insurance, and Aon’s team of friendly, experienced brokers are dedicated to understanding the needs of your business and finding the most appropriate cover for you.

Why Aon?

Retail Insurance. Easy.

Easy to understand

  • Easy to digest information about what insurances your business needs and buy online
  • Or it’s an easy call one of our experienced, friendly brokers on 1300 836 028

Easy to Buy

  • Quick quotes available online
  • Purchase in just a few clicks
  • Options available to pay monthly

Easy to manage

  • Manage your renewals online and adjust your policy anytime you require, with a quick call
  • Request certificates of insurance quickly and easily
  • Aon can assist you in filing complex claims

Why choose Aon for Retail Insurance and Advisory?

When it comes to shop or store owners, there are a few options available to you, and deciding which insurance provider you need might not be easy. Aon is a leading broker of industry-specific products and services that are designed to mitigate and manage business risks. Aon is committed to making life easier for you by arranging insurance that’s easy to understand, buy and manage, so you can get quotes and take out a policy online in just a few clicks. Or if you do need help, our team of friendly experienced brokers are a phone call away to help you understand what insurances you may or may not need, but more importantly, why. Helping give you confidence that you’re making a better decision for you and your business.

What protection do Australian retail workers need?

Public Liability
This may be a requirement for any business that deals with members of the public. It provides cover against claims where a customer or a member of the public alleges your business activities caused them physical injury, or damage to their property. For example, if someone was to slip and fall while visiting your office.

Public Liability through Aon is offered as part of a Professional Indemnity Insurance policy.
Business Insurance
Business Insurance is a package insurance that allows you to bundle different coverages into one policy. It is designed to include cover for your physical business premises and/or your business assets and equipment. Cover options include damage to building & contents, theft, money, business interruption and portable property, along with computer and equipment breakdown.
Professional Indemnity
This is one of the most important forms of cover for your business. Professional Indemnity insurance includes cover in the event a customer alleges your service or advice caused them loss. For example, a customer could allege your service or advice caused their sales to plummet.1

PI also includes the option to include Cyber insurance to help cover your business’s financial loss suffered as a result of a cyber attack.
Cyber Insurance
Aon’s key products for all retail workers to consider include: cyber insurance, impact and exposure analysis and data protection.
Cyber insurance provides cover for financial loss suffered due to a cyber-attack. This can include phishing, malware and ransomware.
In providing your service, you likely deal with some very sensitive information, and this data may make you a very lucrative target for cyber criminals.
Product Liability
Product Liability insurance, is typically included as part of a public liability insurance policy.1

Product Liability insurance helps protect your business against financial liability for third party injury or damage caused by stock sold or supplied through your retail business.

Public and Products Liability policies can cover legal defence and court costs, assisting your business with the financial setbacks of defending a claim.

Frequently Asked Questions

Common questions when purchasing retail insurance
How do I make a claim?
You will find details of how to make a claim in the policy wording you receive from us. However, we also appreciate that having to make a claim can be a stressful time. That's why as your advocate we are always on hand to help with any questions. Please do not hesitate to call us on 1300 836 028 during business hours or email
What if I need to make a change to my policy?
It is important to keep your policy up to date with the changing shape of your business but also to keep your business and personal information up to date in the event of a claim.

Should your business circumstances have changed, for example you have moved into new premises or you have changed the services that you offer and you are not sure if your existing insurance covers it anymore then you can always call one of our experienced friendly brokers to discuss on 1300 836 028 or
How do I renew my policy?
Your renewal offer and schedule will be sent to you via your elected email address approximately 30 days before your renewal date. It is important at this stage to review the details of our offer carefully (remember pricing and coverage levels may have changed so it is important to review). If you are happy with the offer and wish to accept, it is important that you pay for your renewal by the date specified on the tax invoice.

Thank you for looking into renewing your policy through Aon. It is greatly valued that you are pleased with the level of service and coverage you receive.
Explore more FAQs
What are your opening hours?
Our opening hours are 8.30am to 7.00pm Monday to Friday (AET, except public holidays). If you need to contact us out of hours you can email us at and we will pick up your query on the next business day.

Can I pay for my policy monthly?
Yes you can, monthly payments can be arranged through a premium funding agreement with Hunter Premium Funding2 to help you spread the costs of your insurance across the year. Please note that the total overall cost is higher if you pay monthly. Contact us on 1300 836 028 or by email on

What is the difference between Public Liability and Products Liability Insurance cover?
Public Liability Insurance refers to coverage for damage to the property or a staff injury, which occurs during working hours. Product Liability Insurance relates to cover for damages and injuries to a customer that is caused by a product your business has produced and/or supplied. Aon can offer a bundled solution for retail businesses and individual retail workers that covers both Public Liability and Product Liability.

I run my retail business from home, what insurance do I need?
The insurance you need will vary depending on the nature of your work. You can take out Professional Indemnity Insurance to cover you if a client alleges your product caused them financial loss. If you use the internet to conduct any aspect of business, or if you store any customer data on your computer, you may be susceptible to cyber risks, so Cyber Insurance would be another consideration. Contact Aon for further advice on what covers work best for you.

How much Public & Product Liability Insurance do I need?
This will depend on a number of factors such as your business activity your business needs, the size of your business and the clients you work with. Some clients may require you to have a minimum level of cover to work for them – however, the minimum may not be enough for you, so you should speak to a qualified solicitor or financial advisor before deciding how much cover you need.

Why do I need Cyber Insurance?
If you use the internet for work, or if you store any client data, you may need Cyber Insurance. This may cover expenses and legal costs associated with a data breach, loss of client information or cyber-attack. Costs can include computer expert services, data recovery, ransom and legal costs.

Do I need to take out separate insurance to cover my employees?
Yes, if you employ staff, you will need to take out Workers Compensation Insurance. You can speak to your state regulator about your needs as coverage and legislation varies between different states
Other covers to consider

Management Liability
If you own your own business, you’re likely responsible for making some big decisions. Management liability insurance is designed to cover you and your business against actual or alleged mismanagement of your business.1

Management Liability insurance can also help cover Employment Practices claims made against you by current or former Employees.
Workers Compensation
Workers’ Compensation Insurance covers an Employer’s liability to a worker for injuries arising out of their employment. Workers’ Compensation Insurance is mandatory but the requirements and legislation varies between the different States and Territories so you should check before making a decision.
Personal Accident
This is one of the most important forms of cover for your business. Professional Indemnity insurance includes cover in the event a customer alleges your service or advice caused them loss. For example, a customer could allege your service or advice caused their sales to plummet.1

PI also includes the option to include Cyber insurance to help cover your business’s financial loss suffered as a result of a cyber attack.
Car and Home Insurance
Aon arrange a variety of personal insurance products for our clients including Home, Contents, Motor, Landlords, Boat and Caravan insurance.

If you like to keep all your insurances in one place, please talk to one of our advisors about our options and pricing.


Ways to get in touch

Call 1300 836 028

8:30am - 7:00pm AET
Mon - Fri (except public holidays) 
1Subject to full terms, conditions and limits of the policy. Please review the full policy wording for more information.

2Hunter Premium Funding is a third party independent of Aon, however Aon will receive a commission if you pay for your policy through a premium funding agreement with them.

© 2020 Aon Risk Services Australia Limited ABN 17 000 434 720 AFSL 241141

Aon Risk Services Australia Limited (Aon) has taken care in the production of this page and the information contained in it has been obtained from sources that Aon believes to be reliable. Aon does not make any representation as to the accuracy of the information received from third parties and is unable to accept liability for any loss incurred by anyone who relies on it. The recipient of this document is responsible for their use of it.