Insurance for Barristers

Get a quote Get a quote Or Call
Or Call 1800 020 339
Mon – Fri 8:30am - 5:30pm AET

Why do Barristers need insurance?

As a Barrister, you’re an advocate of the law, and the appeal of the legal process is probably one of your biggest drivers. No matter how well-versed you are at the law, in providing your service, one minor oversight on your part could have very costly consequences for your practice. It’s therefore important you hold appropriate insurance to help protect your financial livelihood if you do happen to experience an unfortunate incident. Just as you prepare carefully before every court appearance, having the right insurance can help make sure you’re prepared to face certain events if they do occur.

Don’t just insure, be sure

Business insurance can be complicated. What you think you’re paying for isn’t always what you get. As a broker and Barrister insurance specialist, Aon helps you find a policy customised for the common risk of your industry so you’re more confident that you’ve found the right type of insurance for your business.

Why Aon for Barrister Insurance?

Don't just insure, be sure.

Right type of cover

  • Aon arranges Insurance tailored to protect against common risks in the Barrister industry
  • We help you to understand how your policy protects against the common risks as a Barrister
  • Competitive premiums thanks to Aon’s scale and influence.

Specialist support

  • A team of experienced Barrister insurance specialists to help you at every step
  • We help you make claims and advocate on your behalf
  • Australian based teams.

Easy to manage

  • Quotes online or over the phone on 1800 020 339 
  • Options to take out premium funding loans to pay monthly. Fees and charges will apply
  • Adjust your policy any time. Terms and conditions may apply
  • Easy renewal management
  • Online requests for certificates of insurance.

Rely on Aon’s industry expertise in Barrister insurance

As SME specialists for Barrister insurance, we understand the risks that businesses like yours face and how to insure against them. We know insurance policies and understand that the detail of your policy wording is critical to providing the type of cover your small business needs. That’s why we help you by arranging policies customised for the common risks of your industry.

Our team of Australian-based SME insurance experts are here to support you and your business every step of the way. We’ll give you access to the relevant information required to help you understand the cover options available to you so you can feel more informed about your choice of insurance.

What insurance do Barristers need?

Professional Indemnity
This provides cover for third-party claims alleging that you have been negligent in performing your services or in giving advice. For example, a client may allege that you overlooked key details in a case and proceeds to take legal action against you to recover losses flowing from that oversight. Professional Indemnity insurance may cover the cost of legal representation, as well as any compensation you’re required to pay as result of the claim.1

It is mandatory for Barristers to hold Professional Indemnity Insurance . We recommend you consult your state’s bar authority to find out the cover you need, and the limits required.
Public Liability
Public Liability Insurance helps protect your business against liability for third-party personal injury or property damage arising out of your business activities. For example, if a client or visitor was to slip and fall while on your business premises, you would look to this policy to cover the claim.

While these events may seem rare, if they do occur, the financial impacts can be very significant. As a Barrister, your profession involves significant interaction with clients, therefore Public Liability is a crucial cover to consider for your business, whether that’s at your office, out in public, or at your clients’ homes.2
Cyber Insurance
Cyber insurance helps protect you against certain cyber related threats, such as unauthorised access to your computer system or network resulting in loss or theft of data.

As a Barrister, you may store valuable client data (such as personal details, bank account details, health records, and ID documents such as passports and drivers’ licences). When this type of personal information is kept digitally in your care, custody or control, it is important to consider the risks of data and security breaches. Cyber insurance may be worth considering when protecting your business against these risks.1
Business Insurance
Business Insurance is designed to protect your business and its assets (including equipment) against certain unexpected events. For example it can include cover for damage to business premises and/or equipment caused by fire, storm, theft and other insured events.1

A key part of this policy is Business Interruption, which can provide protection for lost revenue in the event your business is unable to operate as usual due to an insured peril.

Business Insurance is made up of a number of cover sections, and you can choose the sections that relate to your business. Cover is also available for damage to portable contents such as mobile phones and laptops, and Public Liability.
Product Liability
Product liability insurance is typically included as part of a public liability insurance policy.

Product liability insurance helps protect your business against financial liability for third party injury or damage caused by products sold or supplied through your business.

Public and Products Liability policies can cover legal defence and court costs, assisting your business with the financial setbacks of defending a claim.2

Cover benefits of Barristers Professionals Indemnity Insurance 

Flexible Professional Indemnity cover limits
Choose a level of Professional Indemnity that suits you: $1.5 million, $2 million, $3 million, $4 million, $5 million, $6 million, $7 million, $8 million $9 million or $10 million with unlimited reinstatements of your indemnity limit.1

Unlimited Retroactive Date
You may be covered for claims relating to events that happened before you purchased cover, as long as you weren’t aware of a claim or facts or circumstances which could give rise to a claim before you purchased the policy.1

Complimentary Run-Off Cover
You can be subject to claims for professional wrong-doing even after you retire, cease practising or sell your business. Run-off cover extends your insurance policy for up to 7 years after your business ceases, to respond to claims which arose while the business was operating.1


Frequently Asked Questions
Is it mandatory for Barristers to hold insurance?
Yes, it is mandatory for Barristers to hold Professional Indemnity Insurance. However, the conditions and the amount of cover that needs to be held varies between each state. We recommend you check with the bar authority in your state to understand what coverage you need, and any minimum coverage limits.
Why do I need both Professional Indemnity Insurance and Public and Products Liability Insurance?
Professional Indemnity Insurance and Public Liability insurance are different types of cover. While there are some similarities, they cover different risks . Professional Indemnity insurance provides cover against claims alleging negligence in the provision of your professional service or advice, whereas Public Liability insurance provides cover against claims against you alleging injury or damage arising out of your business activities.

They’re both policies which are important to hold as a professional, regardless of your business size or location. While only Professional Indemnity insurance is mandatory for Barristers, if you interact with members of the public, Public Liability insurance should also be seriously considered.
I operate my business from home, what insurance do I need?
If you operate your business from home, you still need to ensure you have the right insurance to protect your business. At a minimum, Professional Indemnity should still be held as per normal. You may also need Public Liability if you visit clients in person, whether that’s at your home, your client's home, or out in public. It’s also a good idea to consider Business Insurance to cover your laptop & home office equipment.
Explore more FAQs
What if I retire or leave the profession?
Professional Indemnity insurance policies arranged by Aon are ‘Claims made and notified’ policies. This means that the policy only provides cover for claims made against you whilst the policy is in force (subject to policy terms and conditions). If the policy lapses, is not renewed or is cancelled, there is no cover available under the policy for claims made against you after that time.

If you plan to retire or leave the professional, you may need to arrange Run-Off cover. Run-off cover provides cover for claims made against you after your current Professional Indemnity policy expires. Run-off cover is NOT automatically provided; you must apply for run-off cover AND be accepted by your insurer in order to have run-off cover apply. If your policy is lapsed, not renewed or cancelled, and you have not applied for run-off cover, you may be uninsured for any claims made against you after your current policy expires, lapses or is cancelled.

For example if a client makes a claim against you in relation to an act, error or omission committed in past work, the policy you have in place at the time of the claim will respond, not the policy in place at the time the work was performed. 

Do I need Cyber Insurance?
As a Barrister, you may hold confidential information about your clients, such as their personal documentation, passports and other forms of identification. This type of information could make you a very appealing target for cyber criminals, so Cyber insurance is another type of policy to consider for your business. It can help cover the financial losses you incur following a cyber attack.

Can I pay for my policy monthly?
Yes you can, monthly payments can be arranged through a premium funding agreement with Hunter Premium Funding2 to help you spread the costs of your insurance across the year. Please note that the total overall cost is higher if you pay monthly. Contact us on 1800 020 339.

How do I make a claim?
You will find details of how to make a claim in the policy wording you receive from us. However, we also appreciate that having to make a claim can be a stressful time. That's why as your advocate we are always on hand to help with any questions. Please do not hesitate to call us on 1800 020 339 during business hours.

What if I need to make a change to my policy?
It is important to keep your policy up to date with the changing shape of your business but also to keep your business and personal information up to date in the event of a claim.

Should your business circumstances have changed, for example you have moved into new premises or you have changed the services that you offer and you are not sure if your existing insurance covers it anymore then you can always call one of our experienced friendly brokers to discuss on 1800 020 339.

How do I renew my policy?
Your renewal offer and schedule will be sent to you via your elected email address approximately 30 days before your renewal date. It is important at this stage to review the details of our offer carefully (remember pricing and coverage levels may have changed so it is important to review). If you are happy with the offer and wish to accept, it is important that you pay for your renewal by the date specified on the tax invoice. Thank you for looking into renewing your policy through Aon. It is greatly valued that you are pleased with the level of service and coverage you receive.

What are your opening hours?
Our opening hours are 8.30am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday (AET, except public holidays).


Get in touch with our specialists

Call 1800 020 339

8:30am - 5:00pm AET
Mon - Fri (except public holidays) 
1Subject to full terms, conditions and limits of the policy. Please review the full policy wording for more information.

2Hunter Premium Funding is a third party independent of Aon, however Aon will receive a commission if you pay for your policy through a premium funding agreement with them.

Professional Indemnity Insurance for Barristers is arranged by Aon on behalf of Insurance Australia Limited T/as CGU Insurance ABN 11 000 016 722, AFSL 227681. If you purchase this insurance, Aon will receive a commission that is a percentage of the premium. Please let us know if you would like any further information. 


The information contained in this website is general in nature and should not be relied on as advice (personal or otherwise) because your personal needs, objectives and financial situation have not been considered. Before deciding whether a particular product is right for you, please consider your personal circumstances, as well as the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (if applicable) and full policy terms and conditions available from Aon on request. All representations on this website in relation to the insurance products we arrange are subject to the full terms and conditions of the relevant policy. Please contact us if you have any queries.