Insurance for Bed & Breakfast Operators Get a quote 1800 810 282 Get a quote
Or Call 1800 810 282
Mon – Fri 8:30am - 5:00pm AET

Why do Bed & Breakfast Owners need insurance?

If you’re operating a Bed & Breakfast, you probably take every step to ensure your guests fall in love with the stay. Whether it’s the charming house, the hearty home cooked breakfast or the opportunity to be immersed in a destination’s local atmosphere, the experience you offer your guests is one they’ll likely cherish for a long time.

While you’re busy helping create fond memories for your guests though, it’s also important you take the time to protect your accommodation with adequate insurance. Whether it’s a severe storm, a fire, or a guest alleging your negligence caused them an injury, there are many things that could go wrong in the operation of your Bed & Breakfast that could quickly make bring serious financial difficulty for your business. Having appropriate insurance in place can help make sure you can focus on creating memories for your guests, and don’t find yourself needing to shut your doors as a result of the financial impact.

Why choose Aon for Bed & Breakfast Insurance?

When it comes to insurance for your Bed & Breakfast (B&B), deciding on the cover you need might not be easy. Aon has been insurance broker to Bed & Breakfast facilities for over 20 years. You can trust we have the knowledge and experience to ensure you’re covered with a tailored policy for your risks. We’re committed to making life easier for you by arranging insurance that’s easy to understand, buy and manage. Our team of friendly, experienced brokers are a phone call away to help you understand what insurances you may or may not need, but more importantly, why. Helping give you confidence that you’re making a better decision for you and your business.

What is Covered Under Bed & Breakfast Insurance?

Home & Contents Insurance
The dwelling you use to operate your Bed & Breakfast is probably one of your most important assets. Aon can arrange insurance for the Building as well as the Contents within. The Home & Contents Insurance Aon arrange includes cover for the following:
  • Accidental damage to your home and/or contents from events such as storm, fire, explosion, lightning and theft or attempted theft
  • Flood Cover
  • Accidental glass breakage
  • Visitors’ and guests contents, up to $5,000
  • No Under Insurance Clause
  • Malicious Acts (if caused by visitors’ and guests is limited to $5,000)
  • Cover for accidental escape of liquid, in the home or at the premises
  • Fusion of electric motors up to 15 years including food spoilage1  
  • Loss of money – up to $ 5,000
  • Business contents including stock
  • Replacement of locks and keys – up to $ 3,000
Legal Liability
Up to $20 million cover for personal injury to other people, or loss or damage to their property. This can arise from events that occur in your home and/or events that occur in connection with your business (i.e. events involving the guests at your property). 1

Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to some commonly asked questions by B&B business owners.
Can Aon cover me?
Our Bed & Breakfast insurance is designed for exactly that, to cover traditional bed and breakfast or similar short term accommodation, under our wider Leisure segment, our team are also able to cover other accommodation style risks like the following – Farmstays, Guesthouses, Retreats, Camping Grounds and Caravan Parks.
How do I make a claim?
You will find details of how to make a claim in the policy wording you receive from us. However, we also appreciate that having to make a claim can be a stressful time. That's why as your advocate we are always on hand to help with any questions. Please do not hesitate to call us on 1800 810 282 during business hours.
What if I need to make a change to my policy?
With the changing shape of your business, it is important to keep your policy and personal information up to date in the event of a claim.
Should your business circumstances change, for example you have moved into new premises or you have changed the services that you offer and you are not sure if your existing insurance covers it anymore then you can always call one of our experienced friendly brokers to discuss on 1800 810 282.
Explore more FAQs
How do I renew my policy?
An Aon broker will be in touch approximately 30 days before your renewal date to discuss your ongoing needs and any changes to your business. Upon confirmation of these details and requirements, we will work on your renewal and send through the renewal offer. It is important at this stage to review the details of our offer carefully (remember pricing and coverage levels may have changed so it is important to review). If you are happy with the offer and wish to accept, it is important that you pay for your renewal by the date specified on the tax invoice.

Thank you for looking into renewing your policy through Aon. It is greatly valued that you are pleased with the level of service and coverage you receive.
What should I do if I have not received my certificate of currency or renewal offer/documents?
Please accept our apologies. At Aon we strive to deliver best in class service, so we are sorry to hear you have not received your documents. Please contact us on 1800 810 282 or and we will look to send your documents as soon as possible.

What are your opening hours?
Our opening hours are 8.30am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday (AET, except public holidays). If you need to contact us out of hours you can email us at and we will pick up your query on the next business day.
Can I pay for my policy monthly?
Yes you can. Cover for fire, perils, theft, malicious damage, flood and unspecified damage to your advised items anywhere in Australia. Monthly payments can be arranged through our premium funding agreement with Hunter Premium Funding2 to help you spread the costs of your insurance across the year. Please note that the total overall cost is higher if you pay monthly. Contact us on 1800 810 282 or by email on


Call 1800 810 282

8:30am - 5:00pm AET
Mon - Fri (except public holidays)
1Subject to full terms, conditions and limits of the policy. Please review the full policy wording for more information.

2Hunter Premium Funding is a third party independent of Aon, however Aon will receive a commission if you pay for your policy through a premium funding agreement with them.