Insurance for Audio Visual Technicians & Professionals

Get a quote Get a quote 1800 806 584
Or Call 1800 806 584
Mon – Fri 8:30am - 5:30pm AET

Why do Audio Visual Professionals need insurance?


As an audio visual professional, without your work, the show might not go on. The work you do behind the scenes plays a huge role in making magic on stage and on screen come to life. When working on a production set though, you know how hectic things can get. A minor oversight on your part could lead to someone on set injuring themselves or damaging their property. Having adequate insurance in place is therefore important for audio-visual professionals to ensure you can keep lighting up the stage even if you are faced with difficult situations.

Why Aon?

Audio Visual Professionals Insurance. Easy.

Easy to understand

  • Easy to digest information about what insurances your business needs and buy online
  • Or it’s an easy call one of our experienced, friendly brokers on 1800 806 584

Easy to Buy

  • Quick quotes available online
  • Purchase in just a few clicks
  • Options available to pay monthly

Easy to manage

  • Adjust your policy anytime you require and manage your renewals with a quick call
  • Request certificates of insurance quickly and easily
  • Aon can assist you in filing complex claims

Why choose Aon for Audio Visual Professionals Insurance?

When it comes to insurance for Audio Visual Professionals, deciding on the cover you need might not be easy. Aon is committed to making life easier for you by arranging insurance that’s easy to understand, buy and manage, so you can get quotes and take out a policy online in just a few clicks. Or if you do need help, our team of friendly experienced brokers are a phone call away to help you understand what insurances you may or may not need, but more importantly, why. Helping give you confidence that you’re making a better decision for you and your business 

What Insurance do Audio/Visual Professionals need?

Public Liability
This includes cover for your legal liability if you’re held responsible for bodily injury and/or property damage to someone as a result of your work.1 

As unlikely as this may seem, think about how heavy the equipment you use for your work is. If you failed to fix a soundboard or light properly, and it fell on someone’s toe, or even their laptop, it’s possible the financial burden of compensation would sit with you. Public Liability is therefore one of the most important covers for you to consider holding.  

Some of your clients may also require you to hold Public Liability before you’re allowed to start work, and some shoot locations may require this as well. 
Equipment Insurance
This includes cover for the cost to repair or replace your equipment if they’re damaged, lost or stolen.1 Some of the equipment which may be covered includes microphones; speakers; mixing boards, amplifiers and more.  

Your equipment is the most important part of your work – without it, there wouldn’t be much of your job that you could do. Equipment insurance has been designed to help make sure you’re not faced with the full cost of replacing them if they’re damaged by events such as fire, or if they’re stolen from your home. Optional cover is also available to cover them while they’re outside the home.
Business Insurance
Business Insurance is designed to protect your business and its assets (including equipment) against certain unexpected events. For example it can include cover for damage to business premises and/or equipment caused by fire, storm, theft and other insured events. Cover is also available for damage to money (if you keep cash on premises), and portable contents such as mobile phones and laptops.2

A key part of this policy is Business Interruption, which can provide protection for lost revenue in the event your business is unable to operate as usual due to an insured peril.

Business Insurance is made up of a number of cover sections, and you can choose the sections that relate to your business. Cover is also available for damage to money (if you keep cash on premises), portable contents such as mobile phones and laptops, and Public Liability.

Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some questions commonly asked by Audio Visual Professionals.
Who is covered under AV Professionals Public Liability Insurance arranged through Aon?
Under the Public Liability insurance for Audio Visual Professionals policy arranged through Aon, the following professionals are covered: Audio Engineers, Audio Technicians, Sound engineers, Sound recordists, Sound Technicians, PA system operators, Audio-visual operators, Lighting Technicians, Directors of Sound, Directors of Lighting. Sound Mixer, Boom Operator, Backstage Crew, Roadie, Stagehand, Front of House Manager, Prompter, White Glove, Usher, Stewarts, Show Calling, Screen Technician.

If your work is similar to these professions, but not listed, we may still be able to arrange cover for you – just give our team a call. 
Does my Public Liability Insurance cover me if I work overseas?
Public Liability can be extended to your work overseas, however these activities need to be referred and accepted by your insurer prior to cover applying.1
Is my equipment covered overseas?
Automatic worldwide cover is provided under the Equipment & Musical Instrument insurance arranged through Aon, unless specified otherwise on your schedule.1
Explore more FAQs
Can I pay my premium on a monthly basis?
We are able to arrange periodical payment solutions including monthly payment through our premium funding option. This option is not available through our online quoting system, so if you are interested in premium funding, we ask that you please contact our Entertainment team on 1800 806 584  or

Am I covered if I let someone borrow my equipment?  
Yes, however special terms, conditions and excesses apply.1 Please ensure you read the PDS, Policy Wording, and/or contact our office for more information. 

Is insurance a mandatory requirement in my field? 
While there is no governing body which mandates insurance for audio visual professionals, insurance should still be an important consideration regardless of whether or not it is mandatory. Some of your clients or some production locations may also require you to hold Public Liability insurance before commencing work.   

How do I make a claim? 
You will find details of how to make a claim in the policy wording you receive from us. However, we also appreciate that having to make a claim can be a stressful time which is why as your advocate we are always on hand to help with any questions. Please do not hesitate to call us on 1800 806 584 during business hours. 

What if I need to make a change to my policy? 
It is important to keep your policy up to date with the changing shape of your work but also to keep your business and personal information up to date in the event of a claim.  

Should your business circumstances have changed, for example you have changed the services that you offer and you are not sure if your existing insurance covers it anymore then you can always call one of our experienced friendly brokers to discuss on 1800 806 584

How do I renew my policy? 
Your renewal offer will be sent to you via your elected email address, approximately 30 days before your renewal date you will receive a renewal email including your tax invoice and schedule from Aon. It is important at this stage to review the details of our offer carefully (remember pricing and coverage levels may have changed so it is important to review). To make sure you remain insured, it is important that you pay your invoice by the date specified on the tax invoice. 

Thank you for looking into renewing your policy through Aon. It is greatly valued that you are pleased with the level of service and coverage you receive. 

What should I do if I have not received my certificate of currency or renewal offer/documents? 
Please accept our apologies, at Aon we strive to deliver best in class service, so we are sorry to hear you have not received your documents. Please contact us on 1800 806 584 or and we will look to send your documents as soon as possible. 

What are your opening hours? 
Our opening hours are 8.30 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. Monday to Friday (except public holidays). If you need to contact us out of hours you can email us at and we will pick up your query on the next business day. 

Can I pay for my policy monthly? 
Yes you can, monthly payments can be arranged through a premium funding agreement with Hunter Premium Funding2 to help you spread the costs of your insurance across the year. Please note that the total overall cost is higher if you pay monthly. Please contact us on 1800 806 584 or by email on  


Get in touch with our specialists

Call 1800 806 584

8:30am - 5:00pm AET
Mon - Fri (except public holidays)
1Subject to full terms, conditions and limits of the policy. Please review the full policy wording for more information. 

2Hunter Premium Funding is a third party independent of Aon, however Aon will receive a commission if you pay for your policy through a premium funding agreement with them. 

Public Liability Insurance for Audio Visual Professionals is arranged by Aon Risk Services Australia Limited ABN 17 000 434 720 AFSL 241141 as agent for the insurer, Certain Underwriters at Lloyds. 

Equipment and Instrument Insurance is arranged by Aon Risk Services Australia Limited ABN 17 000 434 720 AFSL 241141 as agent for the insurer, Allianz Australia Insurance Limited, ABN 15 000 122 850, AFSL 234708.  

If you purchase these insurances, Aon will receive a commission that is a percentage of the premium. Further information can be provided upon request.