Insurance for Volunteering Organisations

Start Puzzle Helper 1800 123 266 Get a quote
Or Call 1800 123 266
Mon – Fri 8:30am - 5:30pm AET

Why do Volunteering Organisations need insurance? ​

Volunteers are the lifeblood of volunteering organisations, but they are not the only consideration that you need to take into account when assessing your organisation’s total risk. Should one of your events turn belly up when someone slips and falls, or you are targeted for a cyber-attack and have lost access to your organisation’s valuable files, there are significant costs associated with these events that can result in severe financial consequences.  

Why choose Aon for your insurance? ​

With over 30 years’ experience protecting the NFP industry, you can trust we know the risks and claims commonly faced by volunteering organisations. Our longstanding relationship with associations like Volunteering Australia allow us to understand these risks and support Australian Not-For-Profit and Volunteering Organisations to empower and enrich the broader community with your service.  

When it comes to insurance for your volunteering organisation, there are a number of options available to you, and you may or may not need more than one. We understand it can be confusing, and there are a lot of pieces to put together. So as part of our commitment to making insurance easy to understand, buy and manage, we’ve developed the NFP Insurance Puzzle Helper to help you identify what you need, don’t need, and most importantly, why.  

What Insurances might NFPs and Volunteering Organisations need?

Public and Products Liability
This includes cover for your legal liability if third parties suffer an injury or property damage as a result of your organisation's activities. We can help ensure that you, your employees and your volunteers are protected in the event of a claim against you arising out of any occurrence during your period of insurance which results in the third party’s injury or property damage.
Protector Association Liability Insurance
Cover for your organisation’s directors, officers and bearers against legal obligation for actions arising from their duties. It also helps protect your organisation against alleged wrongful acts, and extends to cover your employment practices liability and any fidelity loss you may suffer during the period of insurance.1
Voluntary workers personal accident
This includes cover for your volunteers if they suffer an injury whilst they’re working for you. The Volunteer Worker’s Personal Accident cover arranged through Aon covers the volunteer’s lost income as a result of their Injury which you’re required to pay while the volunteer recovers, as well as lump sum benefits if the volunteer is permanently and seriously injured.  

Age shouldn’t be an obstacle to volunteering or your insurance, so we arrange a policy with no age limit. Your volunteers will be covered no matter how old.1
Property and crime
This includes cover for loss, theft or damage to items that generally don’t leave your premises. However, if some items do need to leave the premises, we can help ensure they’re covered too – simply give our team a call to discuss your options.1
Motor Vehicles - Owned and Non-owned
Owned Motor Vehicles
Comprehensive motor cover helps protect your organisation's (including leased) vehicles. 

Non-Owned Motor Vehicles
This covers loss of excess, no claim bonus and hire costs for vehicles not owned by your organisation (such as those owned by volunteers) while being used on behalf of the organisation.1​


Business Interruption
Business Interruption includes cover for lost revenue if your organisation is unable to operate due to damage to your property as a result of an insured event. This cover is available as part of a Property policy, and cannot be taken out as a standalone policy.1​
Not For Profit Cyber Insurance
Cyber insurance helps protect NFP organisations from Internet-based risks, and more generally risks relating to IT infrastructure and activities. Cyber risk is an exposure that no modern business can escape, and the financial impact of system interruption, privacy and cybercrime events are now felt within all industries. 

As a Not-for-profit, you may store a lot of personal information on your systems. With the recent rise in cyber hacks and attacks, and the fact that standard insurance policies may not protect you in the event of one, if your organisation did fall victim to a cyber attack, the financial implications could be very significant.  

In response, Aon has worked with our cyber risk experts to develop a and competitively priced insurance cover that helps protect your Not-for-profit.1

Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to some commonly asked questions by our clients.
What about NDIS service providers?
If you are an NDIS service provider, Aon have worked with insurers to create competitive insurance solutions which have been tailored to the commonly found risks of service providers. To find out about these insurance solutions and to learn more about the types of cover that are relevant for NDIS service providers, visit our NDIS Recipient and NDIS Provider Insurance page. 
Are individuals on work experience covered?
Students or people on work experience can be covered under the organisation’s Voluntary Workers Personal Accident cover. However, many for-profit businesses do not have this cover and as such as we can offer students and others who will participate in work experience/internships a tailored insurance policy. Visit our work experience page for more information. 
Why might I need Cyber Insurance?
As a not-for-profit, your relationship with your donors is based on trust – you receive donations because your donors trust you will use their money towards the right cause, so if they feel they can’t trust you with their personal information, they might not trust you with their money. You might store personal information digitally or have a payment processing system to accept donations or offer ticketing online and all these digital systems could be vulnerable to cyber-attacks. If your organisations computer was hacked, it might mean access could be gained to private information like addresses, emails, financial information, and credit card details of your donors. Even if you feel the data you hold isn’t highly sensitive (for example, if you don’t hold credit card details), it’s not necessarily about the data being useful to the hacker, but how the data and records are useful to your organisation, and whether you could function without them. 
Explore more FAQs
What insurance might I need for fundraising events? 
If you’re holding a fundraiser event, there are a few insurances you could consider. Public Liability Insurance is one option you may want to think of, however you should also consider ensuring any stallholders such as ride operators and food stalls have their own Public Liability in place. If your event will have volunteers, then you may also need to consider Volunteer Workers’ Personal Accident.   

If you’re unsure of the insurance you need for your event, Aon’s NFP Insurance Puzzle Helper can help you decide. You can also speak to a member of Aon’s not-for-profit team by calling 1800 123 266.  

How do I make a claim? 
You will find details of how to make a claim in the policy wording you receive from us. However, we also appreciate that having to make a claim can be a stressful time which is why as your advocate we are always on hand to help with any questions. Please do not hesitate to call us on 1800 123 266 during business hours. 

What if I need to make a change to my policy? 
It is important to keep your policy up to date with the changing shape of your work but also to keep your business and personal information up to date in the event of a claim. 

Should your business circumstances have changed, for example you have changed the services that you offer and you are not sure if your existing insurance covers it anymore then you can always call one of our experienced friendly brokers to discuss on 1800 123 266 during business hours. 

How do I receive my certificate of currency?  
Your certificate of currency will be available to you upon request and will be sent by your broker once payment of the policy has been made. 

What are your opening hours? 
Our opening hours are 8.30 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. Monday to Friday (except public holidays). If you need to contact us out of hours you can email us at and we will pick up your query on the next business day. 

How can I make payment?  
You can make payment over the phone by calling our team on 1300 854 017 during business hours or follow the instructions at the bottom of your invoice.  

What is the process after I have completed the proposal form? 
After you have completed the proposal form you will need to click the ‘Submit’ button at the bottom of the form, or forward the form the form onto our NFP team. As long as you have provided the necessary information, we will return your email with an appropriate quotation or, if required, refer the quotation to our panel of insurers for terms. 


Ways to get in touch

Call 1800 123 266

8:30am - 5:00pm AET
Mon - Fri (except public holidays)

Email us

1Subject to full terms, conditions and limits of the policy. Please review the full policy wording for more information. 

In arranging certain NFP policies, Aon has binder agreements with relevant insurers under which Aon is authorised to commit such insurers to providing cover without reference to them. When acting under a binder we will be acting under an authority given to Aon by the insurer and will be effecting the insurance contract as agent of the insurer and not as your agent. Our binder arrangements with insurers are such that we remain your agent in the handling of any claim.