The Tax Institute and Aon

Insurance for members of The Tax Institute

Get a quote Get a quote Or Call
Or Call 1300 836 028
Mon – Fri
8:30am – 7:00pm AET

Insurance for Tax Professionals

As a tax professional, and when you’re offering services as an accountant, having the right insurance means that you have a level of security in place that can protect your business from losses in the event of a claim.

We are proud to be the chosen risk and insurance solutions provider for The Tax Institute members. We work closely with The Tax Institute to deliver to you, a range of risk and insurance solutions, including a broad range of insurance options designed for tax professionals and your practice.

How we deliver quality tailored insurance solutions for The Tax Institute members

  • Access to a range of flexible insurance options tailored to suit tax professionals. Ranging from professional indemnity, cyber liability, business insurance, public liability, management liability and more.
  • Consistent quality service through a dedicated team of expert advisers who understand the tax and accounting industry.
  • We will offer members of The Tax Institute, Aon’s deep market insights, thought leadership materials across a wide range of topics, risk management reports and access to exclusive events.

The Tax Institute Insurance. Easy.

Easy to Understand

  • Easy to digest information about what insurances your business needs and buy online
  • Or it’s an easy call one of our experienced, friendly brokers on 1300 836 028

Easy to Buy

  • Quick quotes available online
  • Purchase in just a few clicks
  • Options available to pay monthly

Easy to Manage

  • Manage your renewals online and adjust your policy anytime you require, with a quick call
  • Request certificates of insurance quickly and easily
  • Aon can assist you in filing complex claims
Explore our products

Professional Indemnity
Cover that is mandatory for tax professionals. This helps with claims made against your practice by customers or other third parties, where in performing your professional services, your business has caused them loss.
Business Insurance
Cover for the cost to repair or replace your premises or business property following an event including fire, storm, or vandalism, and can include your business loss caused by the interruption.
Public Liability
Cover for claims against your business made by a client, contractor, or a member of the public for accidental personal injury or damage to their property. This could arise from an incident on your business premises or as a direct result of your business operations.
Cyber Insurance
Cover for expenses and legal costs associated with a data breach, loss of client information or cyber-attack. Costs can include computer expert services, data recovery, ransom and legal costs.
Management Liability
Cover for losses incurred, including legal costs, where a Director or Officer has committed a wrongful act in their capacity as manager of the corporate entity.

Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some questions commonly asked by Tax professionals.
Do I need insurance as a tax professional?
Insurance isn’t just for visibly ‘risky’ professions. As a tax professional or accountant, you’re responsible for advising your clients on some pretty important matters, so if you overlook some minor figures, or make a small mistake in your calculations, the financial loss to your clients could be significant, which puts you at risk of having legal action taken against you. Having the right insurance in place can help reduce the impact to your own profit and loss statement if you experience mishaps such as indemnity claims and cyber attacks.
Why do I need both Professional Indemnity and Public Liability?
Professional Indemnity Insurance applies to claims where clients allege your advice or service caused them financial loss. Public Liability on the other hand covers you for claims where a client or a member of the public alleges they suffered an injury or property damage as a result of your business activities.
I operate my business from home, do I still need insurance?
Operating your accounting business from home does not make you immune to risk. At a minimum, it’s likely you still need Professional Indemnity Insurance in the event you have a claim brought against you due to a service or advice you provide. Cyber Insurance is also worth considering, given you’re probably using the internet to perform some parts of your work. If you meet with clients in person (whether that’s at their home or in a public place), you may also need Pubic Liability. You may also need Business Insurance to cover the electronic devices you use for your business, as these may not necessarily be covered under your personal Home Insurance. We recommend you consult with a broker to help you determine the different insurance covers you might need based on your situation.
Explore more FAQs
Why do I need Cyber Insurance?
Your high-value client base, the commercially sensitive information you hold about them and the raft of cloud based and online technologies you use all make you susceptible to cyber crime. For cyber criminals, attacking your system wouldn’t require much effort on their part, but the ramifications for you (and your clients) could be far-reaching. Cyber Insurance can therefore help safeguard your business’s viability if you do fall victim to an attack, and help make sure you’re not left with substantial out of pocket costs to rectify your IT systems and get your business back up and running.

Why do I need Management Liability Insurance?
If you’re managing a business, you’re responsible for making some very big decisions, and a management liability policy can help protect against the risks and exposures involved in doing so. If your business is a company, it also includes cover for directors & officers’ personal and corporate liabilities.


Call 1300 836 028

8:30am - 7:00pm AET
Mon - Fri (except public holidays) 
Full policy terms and conditions and exclusions apply. The Professional Indemnity Insurance for members of The Tax Institute is arranged by Aon Risk Services Australia Limited ABN 17 000 434 720 AFSL 241141 as agent for the insurer, Chubb Insurance Australia Limited ABN 23001642020 AFSL 239687. If you purchase this insurance, we will receive a commission that is a percentage of the premium. Further information can be provided upon request.

The Cyber Liability insurance is arranged by Aon Risk Services Australia Limited ABN 17 000 434 720 AFSL 241141 (Aon) on behalf of the product issuer CFC Underwriting Limited 1999-2019 of London, Company Number 03 302 887. If you purchase this insurance, Aon will receive a commission that is a percentage of the premium. Further information can be provided upon request.

The Tax Institute (ABN 45 008 392 372 (PRV14016)) acts as a referrer of Aon’s products and services only. All services in relation to insurance products are provided by Aon Risk Services Australia Ltd ABN 17 000 434 720 AFSL 241141 (Aon), not by The Tax Institute. The Tax Institute is not a representative of Aon and accepts no legal responsibility for any advice given by, or any act or omission of, Aon. The Tax Institute may receive a referral fee from premium commission received by Aon as a result of referrals made by The Tax Institute to Aon. If you require further information about our relationship, please feel free to contact Aon or The Tax Institute.