APS and Aon

Insurance for members of the Australian Psychological Society (APS)

Get a quote Get a quote Or Call
Or Call 1800 805 191
Mon – Fri
8:30am – 5:00pm AET

Special Offer: 14 months for 121

Get 14 months cover for the price of 12 when you take out a new Professional Indemnity and Public & Products Liability policy through Aon.1

Why do APS Members need insurance?

As a Psychologist, nothing compares to the treatment you provide your clients. In a world where everyone seems ‘too busy’, your service makes your clients feel heard and understood. However, it’s also important that you protect your business with appropriate insurance, through a broker that understands the risks your sector faces as well. Just as your service helps your clients through their challenging times, having adequate insurance in place will help you and your business weather rough times if you find yourself with a messy allegation of negligence and the resulting financial strain.

Aon is the approved insurance provider for Australian Psychological Society (APS) members. As sector experts, we have worked with industry bodies such as APS to listen to the needs of health practitioners and negotiated with insurers to develop to cover that is easy to understand.

Why Aon?

APS Members Insurance. Easy.

Easy to Understand

  • Easy to digest information about what insurances your business needs and buy online
  • Or it’s an easy call to one of our experienced, friendly brokers on 1800 805 191

Easy to Buy

  • Quick quotes available online
  • Purchase in just a few clicks
  • Options available to pay monthly

Easy to Manage

  • Adjust your policy anytime you require, with a quick call
  • Request certificates of insurance quickly and easily
  • Aon can assist you in filing complex claims

Why choose Aon for APS Members Insurance?

When it comes to insurance for APS members, there are a few options available to you, and deciding which ones you need might not be easy. Aon is committed to making life easier for you by arranging insurance that’s easy to understand, buy and manage, so you can get quotes and take out a policy online in just a few clicks. Or if you do need help, our team of friendly experienced brokers are a phone call away to help you understand what insurances you may or may not need, but more importantly, why; helping give you confidence that you’re making a better decision for you and your business.

What insurance do APS members need?

Professional Indemnity
This provides cover in the event a third party alleges that you have been negligent in performing your services or giving advice, and as a result, they have suffered injury or financial loss. Professional Indemnity insurance may cover the cost of legal representation, as well as compensation you’re required to pay as result of the claim.2
Public Liability
Public liability insurance covers your liability for third-party personal injury or property damage arising out of your business activities. For example, if a client or visitor was to slip and fall while on your business premises, you would look to this policy to cover respond to the claim.

While these events may seem rare, if they do occur, the financial impacts can be very significant. Public Liability is therefore a crucial cover to consider for any business which interacts with members of the public, whether that’s at their office, out in public, or at your clients’ homes. 

The Product & Public Liability cover arranged through Aon includes $20 million combined Public and Products Liability limit per occurrence and $60 million in the aggregate.2
Business Insurance
Business Insurance is designed to protect your business and its assets (including equipment) against certain unexpected events. For example it can include cover for damage to business premises and/or equipment caused by fire, storm, theft and other insured events.2
A key part of this policy is Business Interruption, which can provide protection for lost revenue in the event your business is unable to operate as usual due to an insured peril.
Business Insurance is made up of a number of cover sections, and you can choose the sections that relate to your business. Cover is also available for damage to money (if you keep cash on premises), portable contents such as mobile phones and laptops, and Public Liability.
Cyber Insurance
Cyber insurance helps protect you against certain cyber related threats, such as unauthorised access to your computer system or network resulting in loss or theft of data.
As a Psychologist, you may store valuable client data (such as personal details, bank account details, health records). When this type of personal information is kept digitally in your care, custody or control, it is important to consider the risks of data and security breaches. Cyber insurance may be worth considering when protecting your business against these risks.2
Cyber insurance has now become one of the essential products a business in the health industry should consider.

Cover benefits of Professional Indemnity Insurance for APS Members

2 hours complimentary legal advice
You could save hundreds of dollars on outside legal costs with 2 hours of complimentary legal advice that's included in this policy.  Legal advice relating to your policy is not included.2

Flexible Professional Indemnity cover limits
Choose a level of Professional Indemnity cover that suits you: $5 million, $7 million, $10 Million or $20 million.2

Member Therapy & Counselling expenses
Choose a level of Professional Indemnity cover that suits you: $5 million, $7 million, $10 Million or $20 million.2

Unlimited Retro-active Date
Professional Indemnity Insurance for Psychologists arranged through Aon includes unlimited retroactive cover for unknown claims or circumstances. This means it does not matter when the act, error or omission giving rise to the claim occurred, provided you did not know of the impending claim prior to the Period of Insurance.2

Complimentary Run-Off cover
You can be subject to claims for professional wrong-doing even after you retire or sell your business. Run-off cover extends your insurance policy to respond to claims which arose while the business was operating.2,3

Automatic cyber cover
Subject to a sub-limit up of $100,000 including cover for cyber extortion, privacy fines and more.2


Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to some commonly asked questions by APS Members.
Is it mandatory for APS Members to hold insurance?
Professional Indemnity Insurance is a mandatory requirement for Psychologists to hold as per requirements set by the Psychology Board of Australia. While Professional Indemnity is the only insurance which is mandatory, it may not be enough on its own to  protect your business from the range of risks you face, so it’s worth speaking to your broker to fully understand the range of risks you face and decide which other forms of cover you might need.
Why do APS Members need Public Liability insurance?
Public Liability is an important cover for any business that interacts with members of the public. One of your clients or a member of the public could fall and hurt themselves or damage their property on your premises. This could lead to them making a claim against your business, and you could be held liable. Even if you don’t operate out of a business premise, and only see patients in their homes, Public Liability should still be considered as any interaction with the public or your clients in person holds a level of liability risk.
What level of complimentary legal advice can I receive?
A total of 2 hours of complimentary legal advice is offered when you hold  the CGU Combined Professional Indemnity and Public & Products Liability for Psychologists policy through Aon. You can call the Legal Helpline up to a total of 2 hours in each policy year, per policy, for general legal advice relating to your practice. Legal advice relating to your policy is not included.

The Legal Helpline is entirely confidential, and you'll be supported by a network of lawyers who work independently of Aon. The details discussed with the Legal Helpline are confidential and will not impact the future cost of your insurance premium.2
Explore more FAQs
How do I make a claim?
You will find details of how to make a claim in the policy wording you receive from us. However, we also appreciate that having to make a claim can be a stressful time which is why as your advocate we are always on hand to help with any questions. Please do not hesitate to call us on 1800 805 191 during normal business hours.

What if I need to make a change to my policy?
It is important to keep your policy up to date with the changing shape of your business but also to keep your business and personal information up to date in the event of a claim. Should your business circumstances have changed, for example you have moved into new premises or you have changed the services that you offer and you are not sure if your existing insurance covers it anymore then you can always call one of our experienced friendly brokers to discuss on 1800 805 191.

How do I renew my policy?
Your renewal offer and schedule will be sent to you via your elected email address approximately 30 days before your renewal date. It is important at this stage to review the details of our offer carefully (remember pricing and coverage levels may have changed so it is important to review). If you are happy with the offer and wish to accept, it is important that you pay for your renewal by the date specified on the tax invoice. Thank you for looking into renewing your policy through Aon. It is greatly valued that you are pleased with the level of service and coverage you receive.

What are your opening hours?
Our opening hours are 8.30am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday (AET, except public holidays). If you need to contact us out of hours you can email us at au.psychology@aon.com and we will pick up your query on the next business day.

Can I pay for my policy monthly?
Yes you can, monthly payments can be arranged through a premium funding agreement with Hunter Premium Funding4 to help you spread the costs of your insurance across the year. Please note that the total overall cost is higher if you pay monthly. Contact us on 1800 805 191.  


Call 1800 805 191

8:30am - 5:00pm AET
Mon - Fri (except public holidays) 
114 for 12 offer is available to customers who do not currently have a Professional Indemnity or Public Liability policy through Aon. Aon reserves the right to cancel this offer at any time. Terms and eligibility conditions apply, call 1800 805 191 for more details. Coverage only extends to Australian residents and members. Cover does not extend to New Zealand residents or members.

2Subject to full terms, conditions and limits of the policy. Please review the full policy wording for more information.

3The run off cover will apply until the Group Facility is cancelled or not renewed. Subject to full terms, conditions and limits of the policy. Please review the full policy wording for more information.

4Hunter Premium Funding is a third party independent of Aon, however Aon will receive a commission if you pay for your policy through a premium funding agreement with them.
Combined Professional Indemnity Public & Products Liability Insurance Policy Wording for Psychologists is arranged by Aon Risk Services Australia Limited ABN 17 000 434 720 (Aon) on behalf of the underwriter, Insurance Australia Limited ABN 11 000 016 722 AFSL 227681 trading as CGU Insurance. If you purchase this insurance, Aon will receive a commission that is a percentage of the premium. Further information can be provided upon request.