Facebook has evolved over the years to become more than just a platform used to keep in touch with your friends and family. Today, Facebook is a powerful tool for businesses of all sizes, allowing them to connect and communicate with people interested in the products and services they offer. Below, we explain what Facebook Business Pages are, why they’re important and how to create a Facebook page for your business.
What is a Facebook Business Page?
A Facebook Business Page is a type of Facebook profile that is created to promote your business to the users of the social networking site. They are used as a platform to connect with your customers, share information, collect reviews and more. Instead of becoming ‘friends’ with other users, your current and potential customers can choose to ‘like’ and ‘follow’ your page. By ‘liking’ and ‘following’ your page, your customers will then see the posts that you push live within their Facebook timeline.
Why is it important to have a Facebook page for your business?
There are a number of reasons it may be worth creating a Facebook page for your business including:
- Being able to share content and news directly with your current and prospective customers
- Having another way to receive customer enquiries, feedback and complaints.
- Potentially reaching a much wider audience. Depending on the information you add to the ‘About’ section of your page, potential customers may be able to find you when searching for generic and location-specific terms.
- Gaining insights into who your customers are and how they interact with your business. Using Facebook as a business gives you access to some interesting information about who your customers are, their interests and their location. This information can be useful for understanding who your customers are and how you might tailor your business activities or posts accordingly.
- Creating a place where you can display key information about your business.
- Having the option to use Facebook’s advertising platform. To access Facebook’s paid advertising platform, you will need to have a Facebook Business Page, paid advertising cannot be utilised using your personal Facebook profile.
- Building brand awareness
How much does it cost to create a Facebook Business Page?
Much like a regular Facebook profile, setting up a Facebook Business Page is free to do. Even if your business is particularly popular, there are no fees associated with creating a page. To set up a business page, you will, however, need to have your own personal Facebook profile.
What are the steps to creating a Facebook Business Page for your business?
The process of creating a Facebook Business Page isn’t overly complicated and can typically be completed quite quickly. If you’re wanting to create a business page, make your way through the following steps:
- Create a Facebook profile. If you don’t currently have a personal Facebook profile, you’ll first need to create one.
- Create your business page. From the Facebook homepage, click ‘Create’ and select ‘Page’. From here, you’ll select ‘Business or Brand’.
- Fill in your business name. Enter the name of your business. This is the name that your business is most commonly known by.
- Choose your business category. Select a category that best describes your business page. If you own a clothing shop, for example, clothing or fashion may be most appropriate for your business.
- Enter information about your business. Add any additional business information, including your business address, phone number and other relevant details, and select ‘Continue’.
- Add a profile photo. Choose a profile photo that best represents your business before clicking ‘Next’.
- Add a cover photo. Add a cover photo that represents your business and the products or services it offers, then click ‘Continue’.
- Explore and customise your page. You will then be taken to your new business page where you can start customising your page further and start posting. If you want to, you can also choose to invite friends from your personal profile to ‘like’ your new page.
What to avoid when creating a Facebook Business Page
If you don’t use Facebook regularly or haven’t managed a business page before, it’s not unusual to make a few mistakes when making or managing your Facebook Business Page. To prevent a few headaches when creating a Facebook page for your business, try to avoid the following:
- Making a personal profile instead of a business page. The features offered by a personal profile and a business page are very different so it’s important to choose the right option from the outset.
- Choosing a poor profile picture or cover image. Facebook is quite a visual platform so it’s important to choose profile pictures and cover images that look good and represent your brand appropriately. Look to upload good quality photos that match the optimised image dimensions outlined by Facebook. As a general rule of thumb, Facebook profile pictures should be at least 170x170 pixels, while cover photos should be at least 850x315 pixels.
- Forgetting which profile you’re using. To create a Facebook Business Page, you will need to have your own personal profile. If you aren’t careful, you may accidentally post on your business page thinking it’s your personal profile and vice versa. Before posting anything on Facebook, take a moment to check that you are using the right profile or page.
- Not filling in the ‘About’ section. While the content that you post to your business page is important, so too is the information that you include in the ‘About’ section of the page. This is the section of the page where you can share key information about your business, including your address, phone number, website, opening hours and more. If the visitors to your page are looking to get in touch with you or learn more about your business, this is the section they will likely head to first.
- Searching for more handy resources to help you grow your business? Visit our small business blog to learn more.
Subscribe to SME Talk