NDIS Participant insurance and insurance for Paid Carers

Why Aon?

As a recipient of the NDIS, if you employ a disability carer directly in your home and/or are yourself a voluntary (non-paid) carer, this is a relationship like that of employer & employee. If something goes wrong, your home and contents insurance won't necessarily cover you. That’s why Aon has developed a specific policy, NDIS Participant Insurance, which includes cover for your needs of Public Liability and Personal Accident.

On the other hand, as an individual, professional paid carer who provides services to someone with a disability including NDIS recipients (such as an attendant care worker, home care worker or disability support worker), there's a variety of insurance risks you face and for which you would need cover. Using our over 30 years of experience in this sector, Aon have created tailored and affordable insurance solutions to protect you in the event of a claim. These include covers such as Public Liability, Professional Indemnity and Personal Accident insurance.

We cover all your essentials:

NDIS Participant Insurance

Should something go wrong, standard insurance policies may not cover you, the person in your care or the carer’s family, so we’ve developed NDIS Participant Insurance.

This is a combined Public Liability and Personal Accident insurance policy. It will cover you and your family in the event of a third party making a claim against you, or in the event that your child or person in your care (the NDIS recipient) or voluntary carer, has an accident.

For a quote, simply select the NDIS Participant Insurance ‘Apply Online’ form, and for any further questions, our NFP Team is happy to help.

Public Liability

Limit Options: $10 million or $20 million

Provides cover for the family, should any carer (paid or voluntary) or your child/person in your care, cause injury or property damage to a third party (for example, another child at playgroup), and that third party then brings a claim against them for that damage.

An excess of $250 would need to be paid when making a claim.

Personal Accident

Limit: Death Benefit 100% of the limit on your schedule

Covers the child or person in your care for accidental injury or death and also extends to cover a voluntary carer (i.e. non-paid), for example a family member or third-party such as a neighbour.

Key Policy Benefits:

  • Nil excess on all claims, except medical expense claims.
  • No age limit (but must be able to follow instruction).
  • Ambulance Hire not recoverable from any other source.
  • Student Tutorial and Domestic Help - from $250 per week for 104 weeks.
  • Paraplegia or Quadriplegia - home or car renovation/modification up to $7,500.
  • Tuition or advice - up to $750 per week.
  • Chauffer Services - $5000.
  • Funeral expenses - $5,000.
  • Non-Medicare Medical Expenses - excluding any costs wholly or partially covered by Medicare*, up to $2,500 dollars.

*Under Australian Federal Legislation, it's illegal for general insurance companies to cover medical items that would/ should have been covered by Medicare. This means insurers cannot cover Medicare gaps in payments, eg. if a GP charges $100 for their service & the medical scheduled fee is $75, the $25 gap is uninsurable.

Paid Carer Insurance

If you are an individual paid carer providing services to someone with a disability (for e.g. a home care worker, attendant care worker or disability support worker), the insurances listed below have been created specifically to cover the risks professional paid disability carers face while doing their important job.

For a quote, simply choose the Paid Carer Insurance ‘Apply Online’ form and complete the relevant details, for the insurance covers you would like via the form. Should you have any further questions before doing so, contact our dedicated NFP team who will be able to assist.

Insurance Solutions Available:

  • Public and products liability: If third parties suffer an injury or property damage as a result of your negligence, we can ensure that you are protected in the event of a claim.
  • Professional indemnity: Covers you against legal obligation for actions arising from performance of your duties. As an example, giving advice; i.e. counselling, respite/health care, education and advice on the installation of home modification and maintenance.
  • Personal Accident: Covers you for accidental injury or death whilst performing your duties.

Got a question? Our dedicated NFP Team is available by phone or email Monday-Friday 8.30am-5pm AEST.

Find the business insurance thats right for you