Film Production Insurance

Get a quote 1800 810 282 Get a quote
Or Call 1800 810 282
Mon – Fri 8:30am - 5:30pm AET

Why do Cinematographers need insurance? 

Just as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, the narrative of a film is in the eye of the cinematographer. Your art brings a story to life one frame at a time, and there is no detail that is too small for your eyes. But despite your immaculate attention to detail, in the course of your work, there are incidents that can happen that can quickly bring an unexpected twist in your own story. It is therefore important that Cinematographers have adequate insurance in place to ensure you’re protected against such events, and don’t find yourself drowning in a sea of financial worry.

No matter where you perform your activities – indoors, outdoors, at an event or in the outback – there is always the risk that a third party could be injured or have their property damaged as a result of your actions, regardless of the precautions you make take.

The Cinematography Public Liability Insurance we arrange includes cover for your legal liability for property damage and/or bodily injury to a third party which happens during the period of insurance and is caused by an occurrence which arises from your actions or business activities.  In addition to Public Liability Insurance, as a cinematographer, you may also need Equipment Insurance to protect the equipment you use for your work.

Why choose Aon for Cinematographers Insurance?

When it comes to insurance for Cinematographers, deciding on the cover you need might not be easy. Aon is committed to making life easier for you by arranging insurance that’s easy to understand, buy and manage, so you can get quotes by using our simple online form. Or if you do need help, our team of friendly experienced brokers are a phone call away to help you understand what insurances you may or may not need, but more importantly, why; helping give you confidence that you're making a better decision for you and your business. 

What Insurance do Cinematographers need?

Public Liability
This includes cover for your legal liability if you’re held responsible for bodily injury and/or property damage to a third party as a result of your work.

While in the middle of a shoot, you know how hectic things can get. Sometimes all it takes is a minor oversight such as a loose wire or leaving a piece of equipment where it shouldn’t be to cause significant damage. Public Liability is therefore a very important insurance to consider for cinematographers.

Some of your clients, or some shoot locations may also require you to hold Public Liability before you’re allowed to start work.
Equipment Insurance
This includes cover for the cost to repair or replace equipment if it’s damaged, lost or stolen. 

Some of the equipment which may be covered include audio-visual, entertainment, musical, film & tv, sound and lighting and associated equipment. Equipment insurance can cover in transit, during use and in storage.1
Business Insurance
Business Insurance is designed to protect your business and its assets (including equipment) against certain unexpected events. For example it can include cover for damage to business premises and/or equipment caused by fire, storm, theft and other insured events. Cover is also available for damage to money (if you keep cash on premises), and portable contents such as mobile phones and laptops.2

A key part of this policy is Business Interruption, which can provide protection for lost revenue in the event your business is unable to operate as usual due to an insured peril.

Business Insurance is made up of a number of cover sections, and you can choose the sections that relate to your business. Cover is also available for damage to money (if you keep cash on premises), portable contents such as mobile phones and laptops, and Public Liability.

Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to some commonly asked questions by Cinematographers.
Does my Public Liability Insurance cover me if I work overseas?
The Cinematographer’s Public Liability Insurance arranged by Aon covers work performed anywhere in the world, outside of North America2.
Is my equipment covered overseas?
If you travel overseas to work on a production, the Equipment & Musical Instrument Insurance arranged by Aon may still cover your items. You will need to ensure your schedule notes your travel locations. If you need to update your travel locations, please contact our team.
Am I covered if I let someone borrow my equipment?
If you travel overseas to work on a production, the Equipment & Musical Instrument Insurance arranged by Aon may still cover your items,  subject to any limitations on the Territorial Limits specified in your insurance.
Explore more FAQs
Can I pay my premium on a monthly basis?
We are able to arrange periodical payment solutions including monthly payment through our premium funding option. This option is not available through our online quoting system, so if you are interested in premium funding, we ask that you please contact our Entertainment team on 1800 806 584 or

Is insurance a mandatory requirement in my field?
While there is no governing body which mandates insurance for film & TV professionals, insurance should still be an important consideration regardless of whether or not it is mandatory. Some of your clients or some production locations may also require you to hold Public Liability insurance before commencing work.

How do I make a claim?
​You will find details of how to make a claim in the policy wording you receive from us. However, we also appreciate that having to make a claim can be a stressful time which is why as your advocate we are always on hand to help with any questions. Please do not hesitate to call us on 1800 810 282.

What if I need to make a change to my policy?
It is important to keep your policy up to date with the changing shape of your work but also to keep your business and personal information up to date in the event of a claim.

Should your business circumstances have changed, for example you have changed the services that you offer and you are not sure if your existing insurance covers it anymore then you can always call one of our experienced friendly brokers to discuss on 1800 810 282.

How do I renew my policy?
Your renewal offer will be sent to you via your elected email address, approximately 30 days before your renewal date you will receive a renewal email and schedule from Aon. It is important at this stage to review the details of our offer carefully (remember pricing and coverage levels may have changed so it is important to review). If you are happy with the offer and wish to accept, please make your payment by the date specified on your invoice.

Thank you for looking into renewing your policy through Aon. It is greatly valued that you are pleased with the level of service and coverage you receive.

What should I do if I have not received my certificate of currency or renewal offer/documents?
Please accept our apologies, at Aon we strive to deliver best in class service, so we are sorry to hear you have not received your documents. Please contact us on 1800 810 282 or and we will look to send your documents as soon as possible.

What are your opening hours?
Our opening hours are 8.30 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. AET Monday to Friday (except public holidays). If you need to contact us out of hours you can email us at and we will pick up your query on the next business day.


Ways to get in touch

Call 1800 810 282

8:30am - 5:00pm AET
Mon - Fri (except public holidays)
1Offer Subject to the full terms, conditions and limits of the policy. Please review the full policy wording for more information.

2North America is USA and Canada, you will need to inform Aon if you require cover in North America, please contact us on 1800 806 504

Cinematographers, Camera Operators and Outside Broadcasters Public & Products Liability insurance is arranged by Aon Risk Services Australia Limited ABN 17 000 434 720 AFSL 241141 as agent for the insurer, Certain Underwriters at Lloyds. If you purchase this insurance, Aon will receive a commission that is a percentage of the premium. Further information can be found in our FSG click here or provided upon request.