Insurance for Charities & Not-for-Profits

Start Puzzle Helper Start Puzzle Helper 1800 123 266
Or Call 1800 123 266
Mon – Fri 8:30am - 5:30pm AET

Why do Not-for-Profit & Charities need insurance?

You might be running a not-for-profit, but that doesn’t mean you can afford for your organisation to run at a loss either. Even with all the good your organisation may do, there is a very real possibility of something going wrong, be it allegations of mismanagement or that you caused bodily injury or property damage to a third party. Some of these unfortunate incidents could be enough to cause significant financial detriment to your organisation. Having the right insurance in place should therefore be a key consideration to help ensure you can keep your focus on fundraising efforts.

Why choose Aon for Not-for-Profit & Charities Insurance?

When it comes to insurance for your not-for-profit organisation, there are a number of options available to you, and you may or may not need more than one. We understand it can be confusing, and there are a lot of pieces to put together. So as part of our commitment to making insurance easy to understand, buy and manage, we’ve developed the NFP Insurance Puzzle Helper to help you identify what insurance you may need, what you may not need, and most importantly, why.

What Insurance do NFPs & Charities need?

Public and Products Liability Insurance
Cover for legal liability to third parties if they suffer an injury or property damage as a result of your organisation's activities.1
Protector Association Liability Insurance
Association Liability insurance is a package insurance that allows you to bundle different covers into one policy, including:
  • Professional Indemnity insurance: cover for any professional services provided by your organisation;
  • Management Liability: cover for your organisation’s directors and officers against legal liability arising out of their management duties;
  • Employment Practices Liability: cover for employment-related claims brought by current, former or prospective employees against your organisation; and 
  • Fidelity: cover for direct financial loss suffered by the organisation as a result of fraud or dishonesty committed by an employee. 1
Voluntary Workers Personal Accident Insurance
Cover for your volunteers if they suffer an injury whilst they’re undertaking activities for you. The Volunteer Worker’s Personal Accident cover arranged through Aon pays lump sum benefits to volunteers if they suffer from one of the injuries listed in the policy. 1
Motor Vehicles - Owned and Non-owned
Comprehensive Motor Vehicle insurance is available for your organisation’s fleet, and for other vehicles used by you in your organisation’s activities. Comprehensive motor vehicle cover provides cover for own damage to vehicles that are owned, hired, borrowed or used by your organisation. The policy also offers Third Party Liability coverage. 1
Business Insurance
Business Insurance is a package insurance that allows you to bundle different coverages into one policy.  It is designed to include cover for your physical business premises and/or your business assets and equipment. Cover options include damage to building & contents, theft, money, business interruption and portable property, along with computer and machinery breakdown.1
Not-for-profit Cyber Insurance
Cyber insurance includes cover for financial loss you suffer as a result of a cyber attack. This can include phishing, malware and ransomware. Cyber risk is an exposure that no modern business can escape, and the financial impact of system interruption, privacy and cybercrime events are now felt within all industries. 1

As a Not-for-profit organisation, you may store a lot of personal information on your systems. A cyber attack on your organisation may result in unauthorised release of that information. Standard insurance cover such as Public Liability and Professional Indemnity may not protect you in the event of a cyber attack, and as such the financial implications for your organisation could be very significant.

In response, Aon has worked with our cyber risk experts to develop a competitively priced insurance cover that helps protect your Not-for-profit.

Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to some commonly asked questions by NFPs & Charities.
Why might I need Cyber Insurance?
As a not-for-profit organisation, your relationship with your donors is based on trust – you receive donations because your donors trust you will use their money towards the right cause. If your donors feel that they can’t trust you with their personal information, they might not trust you with their money. You might store personal information digitally, or have a payment processing system to accept donations or offer ticketing online. All of these digital systems could be vulnerable to cyber-attacks. If your organisation’s computer system was hacked, access could be gained to private information such as the addresses, emails, bank account numbers, and credit card details of your donors. Even if you feel the data you hold isn’t highly sensitive (for example, if you don’t hold credit card details), it’s not necessarily about the data being useful to the hacker, but how the data and records are useful to your organisation, and whether you could function without them.
What insurance might I need for fundraising events?
If you’re holding a fundraiser event, there are a few insurances you may need to consider. Public and Products Liability insurance would be one of the most important ones, but in addition to taking this out for your organisation, you’ll also need to ensure any stallholders such as ride operators and food stalls have their own Public Liability insurance in place. If your event will have volunteers, then you may also need to consider Volunteer Workers’ Personal Accident insurance. 
If you’re unsure of the insurance you need for your event, Aon’s NFP Insurance Puzzle Helper can help you decide. You can also speak to a member of Aon’s Not-For-Profit team by calling 1800 123 266.
How do I make a claim?
You will find details of how to make a claim in the policy wording you receive from us. However, we also appreciate that having to make a claim can be a stressful time which is why as your advocate we are always on hand to help with any questions. Please do not hesitate to call us on 1800 123 266 during business hours.
Explore more FAQs
What if I need to make a change to my policy?
It is important to keep your policy up to date with the changing shape of your work but also to keep your business and personal information up to date in the event of a claim.
Should your business circumstances have changed, for example, you have changed the services that you offer and you are not sure if your existing insurance provides covers for any new activities, you can always call one of our experienced friendly brokers to discuss on 1800 123 266.

How do I receive my certificate of currency?
Your broker will email you your certificate of currency once payment has been made on your policy. 

What are your opening hours?
Our opening hours are 8.30 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. AET Monday to Friday (except public holidays). If you need to contact us out of hours you can email us and we will pick up your query on the next business day.

How can I make payment?
You can make payment over the phone by calling our team on 1800 123 266 or follow the instructions at the bottom of your invoice.

What is the process after I have completed the proposal form?
After you have completed the proposal form you will need to click the ‘Submit’ button at the bottom of the form, or forward the form to our NFP team at As long as you have provided the necessary information, we  will respond to your email with an appropriate quotation or, if required, refer the quotation to our panel of insurers for terms.


Ways to get in touch

Call 1800 123 266

8:30am - 5:00pm AET
Mon - Fri (except public holidays)

Email us

1Subject to the full terms, conditions and limits of the policy. Please review the full policy wording for more information.